Built in 1928, 1723 Bella Vista was first owned by Charles E. Smith and Sylvia Smith. Mr. Smith was an avid gardener and a manager in the printing and lithography business. Mr. Smith was born amidst the conflagration of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and moved to Ohio as a child, settling in Cincinnati as adult. Mrs. Smith died in 1934. Charles Smith continued to live at 1723 Bella Vista until his death at age 92.