Built in 1935 by the E.M. Costello & Son Building Co. for Dr. Arthur R. Theobald and Mrs. Irma G. Theobald, 1735 Bella Vista is the only Colonial Revival on the street. It also sustained the only documented fire on Bella Vista, being struck by an attic fire, just one week prior to its occupancy date.
The blaze sent Fire Lieutenant Howard Brown plunging to the ground, and he suffered fractured bones and internal injuries. It also resulted in $300 in damage to the $10,000 Colonial Revival home ($5,537.63 damage to a home value of $184,587.59, in 2018 dollars).
Dr. Theobald was director of The Avondale Animal Hospital and also a Bond Hill commercial landlord. The Theobalds lived in the home until 1957.